Thursday, April 28, 2005

A Random Rant Down 81st Street

The Fourbucks coffee shop on my block has two entrances. One is on the street and one is on the Avenue. The entrance on the street faces west, which is odd since most block entrances naturally face north or south, but they pull it off. Its magical. The management of Fourbucks has many tricks up its sleeve like impressing the Wall Street by increasing revenues through raising the prices of the coffee once every three months like a rake at a poker table. Except that nobody I know who plays poker goes to Fourbucks, except for me and maybe a few others. Another is raising earnings by lowering the quality of everything from the employees to the quality of the napkins. Another is not actually using real froth in the lattes and cappucinos. Rather, they use special scientifically engineered froth that is grown in the *$HQ in Seattle. Frapuccinos, which used to be made by hand are now made by a machine. The Caramel Macciato, which used to be the best drink on the menu can now only be made well by less than 10% of the employees. I do not order CarMaccs anymore. I am not willing to spend 4.50 and take a gamble on whether the drink will be drinkable or not. The bathrooms are cleaned less frequently now, the countertops stay strewn with napkins and spilled milk and even the well-read newspapers, which I remember from a few years ago as being a staple on any Fourbucks table and couch are gone. They get cleaned up and thrown out now to facilitate the sale of more of the New York Times, which is sold from a display with a sign that says "For Purchase Only." With all that said, I have been patronizing Fourbucks everyday for years and I will continue to. Truth is, there is not much else one can buy for $2.00. Especially not something that contributes to physical and social well-being like a Fourbucks can. And anyways, I need my coffee. What else should I do?

1 Comments:

Blogger The Republic of Ned said...

Thank you for the advice. Do I know you?

9:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home